1. Know every one of your customers by name (especially if they have been in your shop more than once).
2. Serve a damn good cup of coffee (and remember that after doing so your customers will expect a standard).
3. Never fail to meet the standard you set in #2.
4. Offer fast wi-fi that is easy & convenient to access.
5. Don't ever take your customers for granted (understand they are exchanging their hard earned money for you to make a living doing what you love).
6. On occasion, show them you aren't taking them for granted by reminding them how appreciative you are (give them a cup of coffee on the house).
7. Tell them if they bring their friends, they will get a free cup of coffee too.
8. Remember that at the end of the day it's just business and if another better coffee shop comes along, your regulars will leave you and walk across the street.
9. Remember that it's never just business and to stay in business you need to offer something that can't be valued in just dollar and cents.
10. Understand that you aren't in the coffee business –– you're in the people business.
Lastly, if you run a business that doesn't serve coffee, simply replace the word "coffee" with your product or service.
By Cole Schafer
P.S. If you liked this post, you can get more like it straight to your inbox by subscribing for free on the other side of this pretty red link.