7 ways to communicate better.
- Share something only when it adds to the conversation –– there is nothing wrong with thinking out loud, just save this more verbal thinking for yourself when you’re alone in a car.
- Remove buzzwords from your communication (especially in business).
- Listen more than you speak –– in addition, don’t think about what you’re going to say while other people are speaking (it’s rude).
- Remove the fluff –– fluff is nice in pillows and comforters, less so in conversation.
- Be present with the person (or persons) sitting across from you –– the conversation going on in your phone or email inbox is irrelevant because that person is not in the room.
- Pay extra close attention to point number 6.
- After the conversation, reflect on what was said –– many people lack awareness when it comes to conversation and as a result don’t realize when they sound arrogant, blunt, brash, wishy-washy or ridiculous… by simply reflecting on what was said and how those around you responded you can tremendously improve your communication.
By Cole Schafer.
P.S. If you liked this post, you can get more like it straight to your inbox by subscribing for free on the other side of this pretty red link.