Calling yourself out on your bullshit hurts the ego at first. But, it gets easier and easier the more times you do it. Eventually, I would argue, it even get's a bit funny.
Here are a few questions you can ask yourself when you start smelling some nasty whiffs of your own bullshit in the air (they're written in first person in hopes to be more easily digestible):
1. Am I doing, saying or acting this way to impress others?
2. Is this genuine to me? In other words, would I do, say or act this way in a room by myself?
3. Am I trying to make a change or... am I just trying to put on a show?
4. If this moment marked the jumping off point of my success, would I be proud of it?
5. Is this a quick win, a shortcut or an easy way out?
Now, you're never going to blatantly say "YES!" to any of these questions. Your ego won't allow it. But, if you feel yourself hesitating, feeling defensive or not wanting to face the list of questions... there is a good chance you're bullshitting.
By Cole Schafer.
P.S. If you liked this post, you can get more like it straight to your inbox by subscribing for free on the other side of this pretty red link.