27 Epic New Year's Resolutions for 2017
I wanted to kick off the New Year with a list of Epic new Year's resolutions. I was going to launch this on New Year's Day, but no one wants to read with a hangover. Plus, Monday is when people change the world.
Before we dive in, I wanted to offer some thoughts on setting New Year's Resolutions.
If you want to lose weight, your New Year's Resolutions shouldn't be "I want to lose 25 lbs." It should be "I will lose 25 lbs by giving up soda and fried foods for 365 days, as well as run 5 miles a week."
The majority of people don't stick to their New Year's Resolutions because they are too vague. I want to lose weight. I want to stop drinking. I want to be nicer to my wife.
Okay, but how? Be specific.
27 Epic New Year's Resolutions
1. Have a cup of coffee with someone new once a week —write down one lesson you learned from that person. At the end of the year, you will have learned 52 lessons from 52 people.
2. Place $5 in a jar every day for a year— by 2017 you will have saved $1,825.
3. Text the people you love every Monday. Set a reminder on your phone to send them a quote, a piece of motivation or a simple "I Love You". This will take you 10-15 minutes tops and will make your day as much as theirs.
4. Challenge yourself to turn $10 into $100 by the end of the year. If you successfully accomplish this, you just figured out how to 10x your money. Can you do this on a grander scale? Can you do this with $1,000? $10,000?
5. Buy a Ukulele. Learn to play said Ukulele. Why? For the first time in your life, you can say you know how to play an instrument.
6. Learn French. There is a website called Duolingo that teaches you how to speak another language, and it’s completely free.
7. Drink 64 oz of water a day. Besides simply keeping you alive, water has amazing benefits on the body —combats fatigue, reduces high blood pressure & cholesterol and eliminates premature aging. If you find it difficult to measure your water intake, simply fill up a half-gallon of milk with water —this measures out to be 8 cups or 64 oz.
8. Finally, make the move to quit cable.
9. Brainstorm ways you can eliminate $250 in monthly expenses — eating out, hefty bar tabs, daily coffee runs, etc. At the end of the year, you will have saved $3,000… Book a flight to Europe.
10. Meditate for 10 minutes every single day, monitor your changes in mood from week to week. Here is a great app that offers guided meditation. It’s my go to.
11. Overcome Conversational Narcissism. Conversational Narcissism is when people seek to focus attention mainly on themselves in conversation. We can all think of people we hate talking to because the conversation is always about them. But honestly, I think everyone is guilty of doing this in some capacity. Make an effort to be genuinely interested in other people's lives, their interests, and their passions. Ask questions versus giving answers.
12. Parents, Buy Your Kid a Book -- 14% of the United States population can’t read this blog post— that is approximately 32 million American adults. 775 million people across the world can’t read, while another 152 million children who aren’t attending school are set to follow in their footsteps. In the past year, 80% of American families did not purchase a book, not one. So, please... for the love of God, buy your kid a book. Instill a hunger to learn within them. I think encouraging your family to read more is a fantastic New Year's Resolution.
13. Is it time to delete your Tinder? I am in a relationship, so I haven't been swiping in a while. But, a part of me questions how healthy Tinder is. I don't know, there will be a blog post coming soon, I am sure.
14. Stop drinking soda, give it up for 365 days.
15. Remember your friends birthdays -- I am awful at remembering birthdays, seriously awful. I am sorry... Rob, Brian and John.
16. Hold a spider. 30% of the population suffers from Arachnophobia. I am being a little facetious here, but if you have a legitimate fear of something, overcome it in 2017 -- public speaking, heights, darkness, etc.
17. Talk shit about people less.
18. Learn to speed read. The majority of people are capable of reading between 200-4oo words a minute. Speed readers claim to have the secret to reading up to 1,700 words a minute.
19. Learn a martial art --Karate, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, etc. I think it would be badass to be a black belt, plus you will be able to protect yourself.
20. Have better posture. Make an effort to stand up straighter. Consider investing in an adjustable standing desk.
23. Quit pornography. This is an article all young men should read with an open mind.
24. Start your year off clean by partaking in Dry January -- not consuming alcohol for one full month.
25. Are you the type of person that has been late to just about everything your whole life? Business meetings, dinners, appointments, etc. Start being early this year.
26. Stop hating your ex. I wrote this a little while back and it seemed to resonate well with readers. I get vulnerable and discuss my experience overcoming a bad breakup. This year make it a goal to heal.
27. Go solo -- once a month go out for a day by yourself. Go grab coffee, adventure, shop for vintage goods, listen to music, etc. In order to be happy with other people, you need to be happy by yourself. Commit some time to being solo.